Welcome to BF3 - Buffalo Float 2018! Buffalo Float is a kayak & canoe float event that will benefit Camp Good Days & Special Times.
*Registrants will launch kayaks & canoes from multiple launch points on the Buffalo River waterway beginning as early as 8AM, 10AM officially. We will meet on the Buffalo River near Buffalo Riverworks forming a free float raft beginning at approximately 11:00AM. Immediately following overhead drone photos of the free float. We'll then attempt to capture a record by creating the largest parade of canoes/kayaks.
*Only registered participants that have signed waivers will have access to the Buffalo Float gathering area for the free float and parade record paddle. US Coast Guard, Buffalo Police, Buffalo Fire and Erie County Sheriff Departments will all be on site. If you are not registered, you are not insured - therefore cannot participate.
Immediately after the water events , all participants are invited to the after event party at Buffalo Riverworks (359 Ganson St.) for a beverage (beer or soda), food, basket raffle, door prizes, backyard games, kayak vendors and demos, live music and more.
We encourage participants to bring their own kayak or canoe. Kayak rentals will be available for an additional fee and you should call Buffalo Riverworks ahead to reserve.
Rentals at Buffalo Riverworks -
- Each canoe or kayak within the free float raft must have at least one person in it. Inflatable kayaks/canoes/rafts are not permitted.
- The canoes/kayaks can only be held together by hands. NO craft can be lashed to another by ropes.
- The whole raft must free float on a body of water or river for at least 30 seconds. If at any time during this period the raft is grounded, touches land or any other craft, the attempt is disqualified.
- The raft cannot be attached to any other craft or jetty, but can be during the assembling of the raft.
- The record is based on the total number of canoes and kayaks in the free float raft, NOT the number of people involved nor near the raft. Must be part of the raft.
Parade of Largest canoes/kayaks guidelines
Event is brought to you by Buffalo Paddle People and Camp Good Days & Special Times.
- This record is for the largest parade of canoes/kayaks.
- This record is for a paddle covering over 1 mile on the water.
- Participates must be 16 years or older and confident to paddle at 2-3mph to stay within the group. This maybe a strenuous paddle for some.
- This record is measured by the total number of canoes/kayaks not number of participants.
- All participants must wear a USCG approved Personal Flotation Device (PFD).
- All participants (including children) must sign the event ACA Insurance Waiver prior to participating. This waiver must be completed prior to the event to help speed up check in and can be found here for adults and here for minors. A photo ID will be required at check in for registered ticket holders.
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT DETAILS WILL BE POSTED OR EMAILED closer to the event to ensure every boat is counted correctly. PLEASE PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ALL CORRESPONDENCE you receive after you have registered.
To become a volunteer for this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.